27 Sep Learning Medicine and reflections of Sunday
The today entrance is more personal and shorter than no of the previous ones.
The reason is simple: I promised to you 1 week ago to today bring a summary to you of the Learning book Medicine: An Evidence-Based Guide
(connection of affiliate, thanks), but, you guess what has happened¦ I have only read a 15% of the text and I cannot bring great thing today to you.
The week has been busy. After the work in the hospital by the mornings, I have had musical test Monday, action Tuesday, doctoral thesis test of a colleague Wednesday, presentation of its doctoral thesis Thursday with its food, medical test of a relative Friday, followed birthday of wedding Saturday¦ And here I am Sunday in the morning, verifying that once again I have returned to commit a series of very similar errors to which a student can commit. That is to say:
- To consider a too ambitious objective without studying the time availability before (to read and to summarize a book of 200 pages).
- To begin to read the book by the Introduction, that speech of scientific evidence in the learning, and not to go directly to the chapters that explain the methods of study of the authors.
- Not to begin to not even make a small rough draft of the weekly entrance some days before the publication, that was programmed for today. That is, to leave it everything for the end.
Good intentions but bad planning and worse execution.
HOW TRANSLATED IS THIS TO THE LIFE OF A STUDENT?
- To set out to study a certain amount of matter in one week concrete without considering the activities of that week (practical, extracurricular seminaries, tasks). This takes to fail to fulfill objectives, and is frustrating for the own student. Against itself it is seen as a person who does not fulfill her promises and that debilitates its self-esteem and its motivation to continue.
- To begin the study of a subject by subject 1 without stopping itself to analyze previously of what subjects are made up and which are most important or productive facing an examination or written work. All subject has introductory parts that are interesting when it is had time to read them, but can delay the study of the main body of the matter, the one that is going to ask to us in the examination or the one that we must remember for the practices.
- To begin to write a zero text being tried that is the definitive version, and in addition the last days before giving it without to have made a previous scheme of the global structure. A written work is made up of one first stage of investigation, one second phase of general rough draft and one third phase of corrections and reescritura until we arrived at the final version that there is to give. It is important not to extend themselves excessively with first stage, nor to skip second, because in that case the final version will be a very poor reflection of the effort that we have realised from the home.
WHAT I CAN LEARN OF MY FAILURE THIS WEEK
Intention to the students to always be positive. It is necessary to put the things in perspective and to realize of which a failure in an examination is only that, is not a demonstration of which its life is a disaster. The life is made up of many elements, and in my case this blog is very important, but he is not the unique thing that interests to me or that I must maintain to the day.
Therefore, reframing the initial objective: I will bring a summary of the book in
2-3 weeks 1 month to you (already an imprecise and little realistic objective was raising me) when it has been able to read and to condense the fundamental principles of the method that proposes.
Basically their authors propose to us to use a software of spaced review, Anki, to maintain fresh the basic points of all the subjects that are studied year to year in a university degree. They dedicate several chapters to the form in which this must be carried out, they warn on the effort that supposes in first stage, and later give advice exceeds how to study the different subjects that compose the race of Medicine.
I am not perfect. I committed many errors of student and some itself committing as specialistic doctor with 20 years of race. But I have the hope of being able to surpass them and thus to know how to teach other how improving in this so important part of our lives, the study and learning of new matters.
IF YOU IDENTIFY YOURSELF WITH THESE ERRORS AND YOU HAVE ALREADY LEARNED TO SURPASS THEM, COMPRTELO IN THE COMMENTARIES.