17 October Autoexplicaci³n. Technique of study 8/8.
I confess that, when I read for the first time on the technique of the autoexplicaci³n (in English self-explanation), I discarded to write envelope she. It seemed practical little to me and the revision of the Dunlosky (1) granted moderate utility to him and many you beat.
But Peter and Alex in its book Learning Medicine: An Evidence-Based Guide (affiliate connection, thanks) dedicates to a few interesting paragraphs and references to him, so that I thought it better. Not only that, but I used the technique for my personal study and he contributed a few advantages to me, so here we are.
AUTOEXPLICACIN? THAT WHAT IS?
It is the generation on the part of the students of causal inferences. It is clear, no?
Bond, was joke¦ Here I explain it better: it consists of to explain to one same, after to read on new concept or process, how it relates and so either we know, as the concepts within that new process are related that we have learned, or to explain with our own words the steps that have been used to solve a clinical case or another kind of problem. It is made generally verbally, in same stop or speaking to you (if you are in a public library, for example).
Certainly more than one of that you are reading this right now or you do it by your account, mainly when it is called on to you to study something difficult or complicated. But all the students do not use this technique spontaneously.
In a autoexplicaci³n ideas on if can be included you understand or you do not understand what you finish reading Then I do not understand anything¦ (it adds to profanities and swearwords to your taste), and also new ideas that they go beyond the read thing. P. ex. you study the serous otitis (snot within the average ear) and you say to Aaaah¦ tinnituses¦ that is the crack that I finish noticing when yawning¦ ah, clearly, for that reason they explained the muscles that go of the palate to the Eustachian tube¦ open the tube¦. The relation with the studied thing previously is to remember the birriosos muscles of the Eustachian tube. The new idea is to realize which when yawning sometimes notes cracks, that passes much in the serous otitis, and that enters within the tinnitus concept.
Kindness of the autoexplicaci³n is several: it activates to you and it moves away to you of a passive attitude in the study, that already we know that knowledge is less productive for the retention again. It connects the new thing that you are studying and so already you knew and that reinforces the memorization. It generates mental images and associations not only with other ideas, but with lived situations, etc,
TYPES OF AUTOEXPLICACIN
Some experts have designed the skeleton of how he must be a autoexplicaci³n, and is very useful to use them at the outset.
In order to study data (something very current in sanitary races) (2,3):
- What new information you finish reading/to see?
- How it is related and so already you know?
- Does This new information give a new vision you in your understanding of the subject?
- Does This new information make arise questions or doubts in your mind?
In order to study clinical problems and cases (3,4):
- What principle is applying in this step?
- This option is the correct one because¦
- How justified this is step?
- What rule or definition allows me to draw this conclusion?
When you have a little experience, you can use your own model of autoexplicaci³n.
Widely it is demonstrated that this tactics allow to learn and to retain information more easily in the long term, but consumes long time. Not always it will be necessary to use it because many of the new concepts are easy to understand.
WHEN HE IS PROFITABLE TO USE THE AUTOEXPLICACIN?
In my brief experience, and according to the advice of Peter and Alex, these would be the occasions in which he is very profitable to use the autoexplicaci³n:
- When the concept that you are studying is difficult or complex (if it had known it when it was called on to me to study the cardiac arrhythmias¦).
- When you take awhile reading and it give account you of which dream is entering you, because this technique demands more action to you by your part. If you rise and it take some steps while you explain it to you and you gesture, better.
- When you feel to review a subject that you thought that you understood and it give account you of which NO-TIENES-NI-IDEA.
- When what you finish reading it enters conflict and so you thought that you knew.
WHAT SEEMS TO YOU THIS METHOD? YOU KNEW IT, ALREADY YOU USE IT SOMEHOW? TELL IT TO US IN THE COMMENTARIES.
Other entrances on study techniques:
- 1/8 Subrayar
- 2/8 mental Images
- 3/8 comparative Tables
- 4/8 Releer
- 5/8 To examine to you
- 6/8 Espaciar reviews
- 7/8 Interleave
1. Dunlosky J, Rawson KA, Marsh EX, Nathan MJ, Willinghamd DT. Improving students' learning with effective learning techniques: Educational Promising directions from cognitive and psychology. Psychological Science in the Public Interest 2013; 14:4-58.
2. Chi MTH, Leeuw N, Chiu MH, Lavancher C. Eliciting self-explanations improves understanding. Cognitive Science 1994; 18(3): 439-477.
4. Conati, C., & Vanlehn, K. Toward computer-based support of puts-cognitive skills: To computational framework to coach self-explanation. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education 2000; 11:389-415.