23 October What is to procrastinar? The enemy
This palabreja, procrastination, is being used much in the Anglo-Saxon surroundings and also in the one of Hispanic speech in the last years, mainly when productivity speech, a subject that is fashionable. But one talks about to something as old as the humanity.
Procrastinar is to voluntarily place, to delay, to delay the execution of a task knowing full well that delay is going to be detrimental. That is to say, to leave it for another day, which the students do/we do on a daily basis when the examinations are still far in the horizon.
A bloguero has suggested a term that does very very easy to understand this tendency to avoid the discomfort, flinch .
Eye, that to procrastinar is not a disease. He is something that all the people we do at some moments or with some disagreeable tasks. The problem arises when beams from that your lifestyle.
According to the experts, this is endemic in the university, as much that until a 95% of the university students they procrastinan (1). Usually they do it during a third of his daily hours and they occupy sleeping, seeing it the TV or playing (2).
In the general population, one calculates that a 15-20% of the adults delays their obligations systematically, getting to have serious problems with the declaration of the rent, for example. In my case, I can get to have serious problems when one is to present a request to a call of help to investigation projects¦ One night is not nice as quickly as possible remain working in documents when on the following day you have guard.
However, that this us pass to almost all does not mean that we resign ourselves. All we have had the experience to have preparation an examination or project in time and have enjoyed that sensation of tranquillity and pride that produces to us. Because to procrastinar it makes us feel badly, we know that in the end we will have problems. But time and time again we return to fall in the trap.
The cause can reside in our character if we are impulsive, or little disciplined (has genetic component), or in the task that there is to realise: a distant date limit, a boring subject, some bad notes or disorganized¦ It gives equal, the procrastination has many explanations, but the only thing clearly is that we must fight it to avoid to pass it bad to last hour.
A reader of Cal Newport explained his ritual before sitting down to work in an obligatory but disagreeable task. It is a series of questions that help to find the motivation and the concentration him sufficient to work during a good short while. I have been home to use this ritual for a month and she is helping me to work better and not to delay my obligations as much.
Nothing else to seat you in your place of study, responds to these questions (when you write, you become jumbled in writing better):
- Which is your objective? To study first subjects of Cardio both To write a rough draft of this project¦
- Why it is important for you? Because I must approve as it is to happen to the following course If with himself this project, I will be able to investigate on this so interesting subject¦
- What steps you are going to give? Where it is the difficulty of this task? I am going to read my notes and later I will read the subject in the book Difficulty? That I become bored with the Cardiology, but what we are going to him to do¦
- How you are going to avoid distractions? I am afrhelp that I must extinguish whattsapp, or better the movable whole number
- How long you are going to dedicate to him today? Two hours until the hour arrives to have dinner One hour free that I have until the following class¦
- Which are the interruption risks? The telephone. Better I extinguish it My small brother, so I will ask to him that one is going away to play another site¦
- What tools you need to work in this? My collection of 10 subrayadores to color paper and ball-point pen and to write summaries¦ each has its trick here
It seems strange, but¦ it works!
It learns to being more conscious of how you act every day, because little by little you will be improving your intelligence and disciplines.
YOU HAVE SOME RITUAL BEFORE SEATING TO YOU TO STUDY?
Tell your tricks, we want to discover us what works to him to other people
1. O'Brien WK. Transtheoretical Applying the model to academic procrastination. Doctoral thesis, University of Houston, 2002.
2. Pychyl TA and cabbages. Five days of emotion: An experience sampling study of undergraduate student procrastination. J Soc Behav Reps 2000.